[mythtv-users] ansible

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Wed May 13 12:15:40 UTC 2020

On 5/13/20 1:45 AM, jam at tigger.ws wrote:
> The trouble with the way we are using ansible is that there is no concept of versioning

Sure there is. Or, more correctly, there can be.

> I take opensuse as an example, but it applys to all distros

Correct, as it's written now. The MythTV ansible playbook starts by using the
distribution's package manager, which could be used by multiple distributions.
Versioning is applied in the tasks (etc.) in the role below.

> ansible gathers all the correct bits to build 30 but not to build 31.
> ie python-futures vs python3-futures

Detail from actual users is helpful.

What's the output of these (they're not all important here, but I just happened to
have them from the recent OSX updates.):

ansible --module-name setup --args 'filter=ansible_distribution' localhost
ansible --module-name setup --args 'filter=ansible_lsb' localhost
ansible --module-name setup --args 'filter=ansible_pkg_mgr' localhost
ansible --module-name setup --args 'filter=ansible_distribution_major_version' localhost

The goal here is to find things unique about the version of interest. Then, the
names of the packages for that version are needed. [Imagine if everyone used the
same names for packages, like that's ever going to happen]

> maybe a role that includes the current opensuse for 30 and a new very similar one for 31
Using per-version roles is possible, but not in use, currently. The existing playlist
allows for things that are common to multiple versions to be easily shared. Which,
per your input, isn't the case here.

--
Bill