[mythtv-users] Nvida card choice for mythtv and gaming

Erik Merkle mythtv at emerkle.net
Tue May 12 20:45:08 UTC 2020

If you disable DPMS in your Desktop environment, and disable xscreensaver
and find that DPMS and/or screensaver is still kicking in, you can try
running "xset q" to query things. For example, my system sometimes shows
this:

Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  no    allow exposures:  no
  timeout:  1800    cycle:  900
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 2700    Suspend: 0    Off: 3600
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

To turn things off, I can run "xset s off -dpms":

Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  no    allow exposures:  no
  timeout:  0    cycle:  900
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 2700    Suspend: 0    Off: 3600
  DPMS is Disabled

The "s off" option turns off the screensaver (timeout: 1800 to timeout: 0)
and the "-dpms" option disables DPMS. On some of my systems, I put that
command in my user's $HOME/.xprofile and it essentially disables them at
login. I have done this with Xfce as well as LXDE.

Hope that helps (YMMV),
Erik