[mythtv-users] Nvida card choice for mythtv and gaming

BP lists at qucae.com
Tue May 12 18:19:23 UTC 2020

On 5/11/20 4:00 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> Now that I have the GT 1030 working in Xubuntu 20.04 with the Nvidia-440
> driver, most things like Mythtv are working great.
>
> However, I can't seem to keep the display at 1920x1080 at 60hz. It wants to
> switch back to 4K which is the EDID or automatic choice by default.
>
> So on boot it uses the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that the Nvidia X server
> setting program created to force it to 1080p. But if I switch the AV
> Receiver away for some period of time from the computer port to DVD
> player or anything else and then switch back to the computer it comes
> back as 4K like it forgot how it booted. If I switch away for a short
> time like 3-5 minutes it comes back in 1080p as I want.
>
> I'm thinking Ubuntu is getting an event triggered by the switching back
> to computer port of the AVR and using auto settings for the display. If
> I run Nvidia X server app at this point the configuration settings are
> in auto instead of 1920x1080 at 60. I can either change it again or reboot.
>
> Or, the display power management mode is getting in the way.  I had it
> in Presentation mode and Display power management off.  I'm running a
> test now where Presentation mode is off, but I turned on the Display
> power management but set the timer settings to 'never'. I see if that
> works?
>
> Anyone know what's happening?
>
> Jim A

Your Window Manager/Desktop of choice is controlling the desktop
resolution and ignoring the xorg settings. The Display settings in many
Window Managers does not change your xorg settings, it over-rides it
when you login.

I had been running Xfce for years on my frontend before buying a 4k tv.
While Xfce will honor your existing setting on initial boot, it will
automatically switch based on edid when a monitor is plugged in (such as
changing the input on an AVR).  The only way I could find to prevent
that in Xfce was by patching and compiling.  Not something I wanted to
maintain.

Other Window Managers behave the same way, but thankfully, some of them
allow you to define what you actually want when a new monitor is plugged
in.  I switched to Mate and it allows me to hard define what I want it
set to and doesn't automatically choose when getting the new display
attached signal.