[mythtv-users] licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon May 11 17:51:07 UTC 2020

On Mon, 11 May 2020 13:10:26 -0400, you wrote:

>Unless you are IR blasting as well as receiving or need to do something
>more specialized with irexec in response to remote input (e.g. run external
>scripts), why mess with lirc at all for a MCE remote / receiver?
>
>Using ir-keytable (
>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:IR_control_via_evdev), it emulates
>a keyboard in response to remote input perfectly well once configured
>without all the quirks of lirc.

There are all sorts of good reasons to use lirc.  The number one
reason is that it can be used with many different programs as well as
MythTV, such as vlc or mplayer or your favourite 10 foot interface
music player program.  If you use a customised ir-keytable setup, the
keystrokes have to be customised for only MythTV and will not match
the keystrokes used for any other program.  I use MythTV and mplayer
and occasionally Kodi on the same system.

Lirc also gives you control over autorepeat, which I find very useful.