[mythtv-users] Nvida card choice for mythtv and gaming

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon May 11 13:55:38 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 9:40 AM Erik Merkle <mythtv at emerkle.net> wrote:

> I've not run into that situation before. I have my xorg set to pin the
> resolution with this line in my Screen Section:
>
> Option         "metamodes" "1920x1080 +0+0 {
> ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On }"
>
> The only issue I have is when I reboot my machine, if the TV is not on and
> connected to the machine, my display is blank. I think this is because it
> can't get the EDID info from the TV, so it doesn't know how to initialize
> the output. At one time I had extracted the EDID and used my xorg.conf to
> specify it, but I lost that bit along the way. For me, it isn't that big an
> inconvenience as I don't reboot often and it's easy to just ensure the TV
> is on when I do.
>
> I believe you can pin the output resolution to 60Hz refresh with a line
> like this:
>
> Option         "metamodes" "1920x1080_60 +0+0 {
> ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On }"
>
> I don't do that myself because I watch different content that have
> different FPS (some 24, some 30, some 60) and I want the TV to switch to
> whatever the content is using. Also, I want to say that I had some issues
> with some content being detected as 59.XXX FPS and my TV/1030 can switch to
> that output. So I opted for just pinning the resolution and letting the
> refresh rate change with the content.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Erik

Good to know, thanks.

I'm going to look into a 4K HDMI switch that will allow me to plug the PC
and AVR into it and switch the UHD 4K at 60 between the two. That way I can
let the PC run at 4K @60 i.e. leave it in auto mode and let the apps change
the resolution as needed. I can solve the Desktop issue with the DPI
setting in xorg.conf.

Jim A