[mythtv-users] Nvida card choice for mythtv and gaming

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon May 11 13:35:34 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 9:22 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 May 2020 07:00:40 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >Now that I have the GT 1030 working in Xubuntu 20.04 with the Nvidia-440
> >driver, most things like Mythtv are working great.
> >
> >However, I can't seem to keep the display at 1920x1080 at 60hz. It wants to
> >switch back to 4K which is the EDID or automatic choice by default.
> >
> >So on boot it uses the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that the Nvidia X server
> >setting program created to force it to 1080p. But if I switch the AV
> >Receiver away for some period of time from the computer port to DVD
> >player or anything else and then switch back to the computer it comes
> >back as 4K like it forgot how it booted. If I switch away for a short
> >time like 3-5 minutes it comes back in 1080p as I want.
> >
> >I'm thinking Ubuntu is getting an event triggered by the switching back
> >to computer port of the AVR and using auto settings for the display. If
> >I run Nvidia X server app at this point the configuration settings are
> >in auto instead of 1920x1080 at 60. I can either change it again or reboot.
> >
> >Or, the display power management mode is getting in the way.  I had it
> >in Presentation mode and Display power management off.  I'm running a
> >test now where Presentation mode is off, but I turned on the Display
> >power management but set the timer settings to 'never'. I see if that
> works?
> >
> >Anyone know what's happening?
> >
> >Jim A
>
> I do not get problems like that since my TV is only 1080p.  When I
> play a 4k file, the GPU scales it down to 1080p nicely.
>
> As a workaround, you can use xrandr from a command prompt to switch
> the mode manually back to the one you want, maybe something like
> "xrandr 60" which would work on my system to put it into 1080p at 60Hz.
>
> I think that if you want it to never go to 4k you will need to do some
> more xorg.conf setup to specify the allowed modes, rather than just
> the mode at startup.  But if you prevent it from going to 4k modes,
> then if you want to play a 4k video file, it will scale it down to
> 1080p which is a complete waste of your 4k TV.
>
> So maybe you should be considering actually getting it to use 4k mode,
> but changing the DPI settings so that text is readable.  I had to do
> that for my TV:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier "Nvidia GT1030"
>         Driver "nvidia"
>         Option "DPI"    "100x100"
>         Option "NoLogo" "1"
> EndSection

great suggestion on changing the DPI. My problem with leaving the card in
4K mode is the  AV Receiver is only 4K at 30 hz capable. I think I've found my
problem though.  Seems to be a bunch of places that Screen locking and
sleeping is controlled in  Xubuntu. I think I've found them all.  A few
days testing will prove it or not.

Jim A