[mythtv-users] Nvida card choice for mythtv and gaming

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon May 11 11:00:40 UTC 2020

Now that I have the GT 1030 working in Xubuntu 20.04 with the Nvidia-440
driver, most things like Mythtv are working great.

However, I can't seem to keep the display at 1920x1080 at 60hz. It wants to
switch back to 4K which is the EDID or automatic choice by default.

So on boot it uses the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that the Nvidia X server
setting program created to force it to 1080p. But if I switch the AV
Receiver away for some period of time from the computer port to DVD
player or anything else and then switch back to the computer it comes
back as 4K like it forgot how it booted. If I switch away for a short
time like 3-5 minutes it comes back in 1080p as I want.

I'm thinking Ubuntu is getting an event triggered by the switching back
to computer port of the AVR and using auto settings for the display. If
I run Nvidia X server app at this point the configuration settings are
in auto instead of 1920x1080 at 60. I can either change it again or reboot.

Or, the display power management mode is getting in the way.  I had it
in Presentation mode and Display power management off.  I'm running a
test now where Presentation mode is off, but I turned on the Display
power management but set the timer settings to 'never'. I see if that works?

Anyone know what's happening?

Jim A