[mythtv-users] Decoder timed out waiting for free video buffers

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Sun May 3 16:12:02 UTC 2020

On Sun, 3 May 2020 at 16:48, Klaus Becker <colonius47 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 03/05/2020 à 16:20, Bill Meek a écrit :
> > On 5/3/20 8:42 AM, Klaus Becker wrote:
> >>
> >> Now it finds /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log, the file I created
> >> myself and which is still empty.
>
> Hi,
>

> > Also, see if your user and user mythtv have rwx access to the directory:
> >
> >    ls -ld /var/log/mythtv
> >
> > Mine looks like this:
> >
> >    drwxrwxr-x 2 mythtv mythtv 12288 May  3 08:17 /var/log/mythtv
>
> I have:
>
> $ ls -ld /var/log/mythtv
> drwxr-sr-x 2 root adm 4,0K mai    3 13:24 /var/log/mythtv
>

> > And my user is a member of group mythtv.
>
> I added "klaus" to the groups mythtv and adm
>

> > The test file you created was make by root, so remove that too.

When I get "Decoder timed out waiting for free video buffers" messsages it
is always a problem in mythfrontend.
So it is possible that your problems are not (only) in the mythbackend but
in the frontend and then I suspect video playback settings.
You might try experimenting with the various video playback configuration
options in Setup / VIdeo / Playback.
You can select various playback profiles and per profile you can select
various options.
This is documented in the Wiki in
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_31_Video_decoding_and_playback
Note that for GUI navigation you need to use the left-arrow and the
right-arrow keys, for instance to get to the options for the "Current VIdeo
Playback Profile" you need the right arrow key.

Klaas.