[mythtv-users] IPTV Encoders

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Fri May 1 13:02:03 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 7:40 PM mythtv <mythtv at mdabbs.org> wrote:

> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/IPTV_Encoders_as_a_Capture_Device
>
> I was wondering if this page is up to date? I'm switching providers and
> may end up losing my component outputs. I have 2 HD-PVRs that have been
> great over the years, but it would be nice if I could switch to digital.
> Also, I noticed the device only supports stereo. Is that still accurate,
> or is digital pass-through available anywhere?

I won't comment on the scripts on that page, but I will say you will
be hard-pressed to find a capture device that supports digital audio
nowadays.  The HDPVR-2 was the last device I know of which supported
it, and that product came out almost ten years ago.  Everything made
since then supports a single stereo pair.

In principle you might be able to get some subset of uncompressed
capture devices to do it.  I've had some success with Blackmagic
cards, and there is an SDK for the MageWell which claims to support it
if you parse the AES stream yourself.  In any case it's the sort of
thing someone would have to write a bunch of code to support.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com