[mythtv-users] Upgrade process guidance/tips pls - starting from Ubuntu 16.04LTS, myth .28

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 31 11:49:18 UTC 2020

Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> So with that in mind, if it were me, I'd build up a complete new system.

Having recently done this myself - going from 0.24.1 to 0.30 - I'd second that advice.

In my case, I was already setting up a new Xen host so created a VM to install the new backend onto (with no tuners) which I experimented with both that and the frontends (which were also new, the last of my old ones having died). Just for testing, I copied a couple of recording files to the videos directory.
When I was ready, and I spotted a couple of days gap till the next recording was due, I then did a disk swap and copied the VM to bare metal on my backend server.

For IR on the frontends (Intel NUCs bought second hand) I took the advice given here and used Flirc USB receivers. It's a bit overkill running a whole ARM processor just to handle a few IR signals, but they work and require no software setup on the devices they are connected to.

I've stil a few loose ends to tidy up, but the WAF is well up on the old system - not least the size of the NUC compared to the huge boxes I had before.

Simon