[mythtv-users] Upgrade process guidance/tips pls - starting from Ubuntu 16.04LTS, myth .28

Andrew Codrington andrew.codrington at fidenti.ca
Mon Mar 30 17:12:11 UTC 2020

Hi there,

Since I still have my health and some unplanned time at home I realized a
potential project could be bringing my mythtv system up to date.

Past experience tells me there will be hiccups but that upgrades go much
better than decades past. Past experience also tells me that there might be
upgrade paths with higher likelihood of success, and with less cursing!

I'll give some background on where I'm at. If anyone has suggestions for a
sequence of upgrades, or gotchas to avoid I would be very grateful.

The system started as a mythbuntu install and has been upgraded a few
times. I did have to start from scratch once, but the database could be 10+
years old.

   - Ubuntu 16.04LTS with mythtv 0.28 fixes
   - HDHomeRun connected to OTA antenna
   - HDPVR for cable TV capture
   - MCEUSB remote & IR blaster; blaster driving a Scientific Atlanta cable
   box with a channel changer script
   - Combined frontend/backend connected to TV; using mobo Intel graphics
   with VAAPI
   - 2 Apple TV 4 with the proprietary MythTV app from the App store
   (hasn't been updated for years, but works)
   - Macbook which I've never really got working with any pre-compiled
   builds of Mythfrontend, but it would be a nice bonus if a more recent
   release of mythtv had stable OSX frontend support

Let me know if there's any more info I can provide.

Thanks in advance for anything you can share.

Cheers,
Andrew
--
Andrew Codrington