[mythtv-users] Mythtv database requirements??

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 12:46:00 UTC 2020

On 3/30/20 8:14 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:

> No, there is no problem with restoring a backup.  The backup files are
> SQL statements, so they will run on anything that will accept the SQL
> being used.  The problem is when you try to change from MySQL to
> MariaDB and get MariaDB to just do a binary fix to convert the MySQL
> tables into MariaDB tables.  It finds no path it can use to do that
> conversion due to a mismatch of MySQL version against MariaDB version.
> So it leaves the database in MySQL format and tells you it is unable
> to convert it.  It seems to be a problem with the point versions.  I
> suspect that if you were coming from MySQL 5.7.0 and converting to
> MariaDB 10.0.0, it would work.  But from say MySQL 5.7.1 to say
> MariaDB 10.0.4, it does not work as no-one has created code for any
> binary format changes in both programs to match up between them.  So
> it is a pain but not a show stopper problem - just do a backup, change
> to MariaDB and do a restore.  But you do need to remember to do the
> backup before you change the database engine!

So from what you said does this work?

1. backup mythtv-database on working Ubuntu 18.04 system running mythtv
v31 using MariaDB 10.1.

2. build new Ubuntu 18.04 system

3. install mythtv v31, from ppa:mythbuntu/31 which installs MySQL 5.7.

4. restore mythtv-database from #1.

Not sure I'll change at this point, but if I have to completely rebuild
with new hardware I might try it.

Jim A