[mythtv-users] Mythtv database requirements??

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Mar 29 13:27:19 UTC 2020

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 07:21:17 -0400, you wrote:

>So I know mythtv uses MySQL which has supposedly transitioned to mariadb
>over time, but it's basically the same mysql commands. I think???
>
>So to compare what I have on 2 systems I found some puzzling results, at
>least to me.
>
>_System 1_ is Xubuntu 18.04.4 installed recently and mythtv v31
>installed today.
>
>It has mysql-client-5.7, mysql-client-core-5.7, mysql-server-5.7,
>mysql-server-core-5.7 installed.
>
>if has no packages by the name mariadb, or maria installed.
>
>_System 2_ is an Ubuntu 18.04 Server which started on mythtv 29, moved
>to 30, and not 31.
>
>It does NOT have mysql-client-5.7, mysql-client-core-5.7,
>mysql-server-5.7, mysql-server-core-5.7 installed.
>
>It has mysql-common installed.
>
>It has mariadb-client-10.0, mariadb-client-core-10.0,
>mariadb-server-10.0, mariadb-server-core-10.0, and mariadb-common installed.
>
>Not sure why I see the difference and wonder if this is the reason some
>of the database scripts that run during mythtv updates fail for syntax
>reasons??
>
>Jim A

Unless something has changed recently, Ubuntu installs MySQL by
default, so when you install MythTV, it sees MySQL present and is
happy.  If you install MythTV on a Ubuntu system with neither MySQL
nor MariaDB installed, the MythTV packages specify MySQL first, so
MySQL gets installed.  So the only way you get MythTV running with
MariaDB on Ubuntu is if you have manually chosen to either install
MariaDB before you installed MythTV (recommended), or have later
installed MariaDB which will automatically uninstall MySQL.  If you do
the latter, you normally get a message that the database versions are
out of step and MariaDB is unable to convert the mythconverg database.
So you have to reinstall MySQL, do a backup of mythconverg, install
MariaDB again, create a new mythconverg database and set up its access
credentials, then restore your backed up copy of mythconverg.  A very
tedious process I have done more than once, hence why I recommend
installing MariaDB before installing MythTV if at all possible.

When MariaDB is installed, mysql-common remains installed as there are
other packages that require it.  It only really creates a three config
files under /etc/mysql plus documentation files and /usr/share/lintian
files, so it is not a worry.