[mythtv-users] How to nominate a program as HD

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Mar 28 02:21:11 UTC 2020

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 11:13:15 +1100, you wrote:

>On 2020-03-28 10:32, eyal at eyal.emu.id.au wrote:
>> I have a problem where ticking "High definition" in mythweb makes the program not record.
>> I tracked it to the fact that (using mysql) program.hdtv is always set to '0'.
>>
>> The source of the listing can be an XMLTV file or probed from EIT scan. Neither nominate HD.
>> I want to ensure that all programs from the HD channels are always marked as HD, regardless of the source.
>>
>> - Is there a setting that will ensure this? Maybe in the channel table, but I do not see any relevant field.

No, the HD information comes from your EPG data only.  Channels are
not marked as HD capable as they can (in theory) change between HD and
SD transmission at any time.

>> - I can probably manipulate the xmltv file at the filldatabase stage to include an HD flag - what is the syntax?
>	Do I insert this line to each <programme> entry?
>		<quality>HDTV</quality>

Yes, that is the correct format.  Here is a random example programme
listing from my current EPG:

<programme channel="tv1.freeviewnz.tv" start="20200327004000 +1300"
stop="20200327011000 +1300">
    <title>Emmerdale</title>
    <desc>Can Kerry talk Amy into running away? Nate makes a
disturbing discovery. Robert prepares for his plea hearing.</desc>
    <episode-num system="dd_progid">10563907</episode-num>
    <video>
        <present>yes</present>
        <quality>HDTV</quality>
    </video>
    <subtitles type="teletext" />
    <rating system="Freeview">
        <value>PGR</value>
    </rating>
</programme>

You can find the definition of the XMLTV format in its DTD file.  In
Ubuntu, that is found here:

/usr/share/xmltv/xmltv.dtd

>> - I can periodically set program.hdtv using mysql, but this is ugly.

And there is no point in doing that as you have no way of knowing for
each programme whether it is actually HD or not.  If your EPG does not
provide HDTV information, then you should not be using MythWeb's
option to record HDTV versions of programmes.  It is intended for the
situation where you have access to both HD and SD versions of the same
programme (usually on different channels) and it tells MythTV to
prefer to record the HD version.  But I thought that if an HD version
was not available in the current EPG data, it would select an SD
version to record anyway.  If that is not happening, then maybe you
have found a bug.  I have never used that HD option myself, as our New
Zealand EPG sources have never been reliable about flagging the HD
programmes.  Instead, I have been using the "This channel" schedule
filter to make programmes record from our HD channels instead of the
SD "plus 1" channels.  And I have also set the SD "plus 1" channels to
be of lower priority than the main HD channels, so the HD channels are
preferred.