[mythtv-users] Moved to Intel NUC - no sound & IR receiver needed

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Mar 22 13:00:09 UTC 2020

Just a followup note ...

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.
I've now successfully migrated to a new install of 0.30 with my old DB updated. Flirc works well - good suggestion on that even if it does seem a bit overkill to run a whole ARM "computer" just to receive occasional IR signals ! New backend install is on a pair of SSDs, one new, one from the old install. NUC frontends are SSD so boot quickly. And UI response is far better than I was used to  :-)

Just a couple of outstanding queries ...

The SSDs in the backend have a fair bit of unused space. I'm thinking of adding this as storage space in the recordings group - and having a script run each morning in the early hours (when there's seldom anything at all happening with the system) to move recordings more than a few hours old to the main HDs. Worth doing ?

Am I right in thinking that any modern(ish) kernel will have TRIM support ? The backend is running Devuan ascii with 4.9.0 kernel. Filesystems (ext3) are mounted with defaults. Do I need to do anything to have TRIM supported and active ?

I'm assuming that unless I'm configured it otherwise, the system will be doing software decoding ? During playback, the CPU load is very low, so time to try out HD. Playback is great, no complaints and WAF is "happy" :-)

Simon