[mythtv-users] mythtv and iptv

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Mar 12 14:29:23 UTC 2020

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 14:48:28 +0100, you wrote:

>Le 11/03/2020 à 18:12, Klaus Becker a écrit :
>> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/630435
>>
>> Le 11/03/2020 à 15:42, Stephen Worthington a écrit :
>>  > On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 12:38:17 +0100, you wrote:
>>

>>  > IPTV support is built into mythbackend - there are no extra packages
>>  > needed. This is because the same code is used to record from network
>>  > tuners, which are reasonably well supported in MythTV.
>>  >
>>  > You need to add one or more new IPTV tuners in mythtv-setup and
>>  > provide them with a .m3u file with all the channel URLs and associated
>>  > data in it. You will likely need to put them on a new sourceid.
>>  >
>>  > See these pages for more information, including about the particular
>>  > .m3u format used by MythTV:
>>  >
>>  >
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Setting_up_HTTP_Live_Streaming_Recorder

>Hi,
>
>I followed the above instructions with
>https://www.avenard.org/files/media/playlist-hls.m3u
>
>The setup finds the channels, but there is no signal in frontend.

I think that .m3u file is pretty old.  Most of the URLs in it will be
out of date and unlikely to work.  You would need to try each URL
individually in VLC to check if it works or not, and delete all the
ones that do not work.  Then try using only known working URLs from
MythTV.

>I also tried with a local m3u file, but it seems not to find channels,
>The setup seems not to accept local files.

You need to have the right syntax to load a local file using a file
URL.  I had problems getting it to work, and I can never remember the
exact syntax.  Something like this is supposed to work:

file:///mydirectory/myfile.m3u

I think in needs three slashes, but I am not sure about that - try
different numbers of slashes.  What I found much easier was to put the
.m3u file on my own local web server.  If you have mythweb installed,
you will have a local Apache 2 web server installed to run that.  I am
not sure exactly how Debian sets it up, but in Ubuntu 18.04, the files
for mythweb are found here:

/var/www/html/mythweb

which is a link to here:

/usr/share/mythtv/mythweb

So if you put your .m3u file in /usr/share/mythtv/mythweb, then you
should be able to use a URL like this to get MythTV to access it:

http://localhost/mythweb/myfile.m3u

or like this:

http://mymythbackendpc/mythweb/myfile.m3u

I have never actually done it like that, so I am not completely sure
that will work.  I had already learned enough about Apache to set up a
local web server as a different Apache "site" so I could put files on
it for local downloading.  In that case, the files just get put in:

/var/www/html

and the URLs are:

http://localhost/myfile.m3u
http://mymythbackendpc/myfile.m3u

Let me know if you want help to do that.

Having the .m3u file on a web server means it can be accessed from
other devices on your network, so you could, for example, use VLC on
your laptop to play it.