[mythtv-users] Repack - Rescan question

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 18:03:48 UTC 2020

On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 at 07:39, Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 at 01:57, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to plan for the upcoming repack. I would like to do this with
>> a minimum of "learning" new ways to do things. My basic question is can I
>> scan a narrow range of frequencies in order to add a new channel to an
>> existing lineup without that deleting the existing channels?
>>
>> Here is the background.  Right now a local station KTVU transmits on the
>> old station, 44 and the repack station 31. Both come in great. It also
>> transmits on 26 which comes in poorly as it is hitting the back of my
>> antenna. There is another station, KGO that is moving from 7 to 12 that
>> also transmits on 35 into the back of my antenna. Both the San Francisco
>> versions that I can get and the San Jose versions that hit the back have
>> the same call signs although they might have different xmltvids. What I
>> recall from past times is that if Myth scans low to high, I end up with the
>> wrong KGO and if it scans high to low I get the wrong KTVU. I am not sure
>> of which way it scans or even if it does reject duplicate call signs that
>> have different xmltvids.
>>
>> Ideally I could just set the scan to go from 31 to 31 and it would just
>> find the new KTVU and I could manually edit out channel 44 if it isn't
>> overwritten.
>>
>> Another idea I had was to add attenuators until the back stations no
>> longer came in at all and then scan but my hope is there is an easier way.
>> The repack is 4 stations of which 2 have both SF and SJ versions. Not sure
>> if that would work though.
>>

>> There is the option "Scan of single existing transport" as described in
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#Channel_Scan but you have to
> know the frequency to select the correct transport.
> For ATSC only it is possible to select a from-to range of channels (this
> are frequencies, not TV channels). This is described in section
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#ATSC_configuration

About

> Ideally I could just set the scan to go from 31 to 31 and it would just
> find the new KTVU and I could manually edit out channel 44 if it isn't
> overwritten.

I expect that this works without manual editing but you really need the
latest mythtv, v31 or master, for this.
The code uses the ATSC major/minor channel number to identify the channel
so these numbers should stay the same.
Note that the channel update  code has not been tested much because the
repacks are not that frequent so I am interested in your results!

Klaas.