[mythtv-users] Upgrade errors, (Was: Moved to Intel NUC - no sound & IR receiver needed)

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Mar 9 20:59:14 UTC 2020

Making progress.

I have a working 0.30 frontend on the NUC - Devuan OS, Myth from deb-multimedia backports. Seems to work well with plenty of spare CPU cycles - but I still need an IR receiver for it.

Any suggestions for a compact IR receiver to work with the MCE remotes I already have ?
Ideally it want to be an "all in the plug" type like some of the keyboard/mice receivers or Bluetooth devices - rather than a receiver on the end of cable cable. The NUC is a nice compact unit, with a front USB socket, so having the IR receiver in the front USB socket would keep it neat and tidy.
I did find a nice looking HP one on eBay - but when they arrived (I ordered a couple), they turned out to be USB DVB tuners !

Backend is currently a VM under Xen - again Devuan with Myth 0.30 installed from deb-multimedia backports. I've watched a few recordings by copying the recording file from my old system to the videos directory on the new backend, and as above they play nicely.

Tonight I got as far as a trial db restore from my old 0.24.1 system (schema version 1264) - the MySQL dump file is 1.3G so took a while.
DB restored, changed hostname, then launched mythtv-setup which prompted to do a DB upgrade - but failed :
> 2020-03-09 19:25:55.670409 C  Upgrading to MythTV schema version 1265
> 2020-03-09 19:26:05.513090 C  Upgrading to MythTV schema version 1276
> 2020-03-09 19:26:05.574173 C  Upgrading to MythTV schema version 1277
> 2020-03-09 19:26:05.635809 E  DB Error (Performing database upgrade):
> Query was: INSERT INTO recordfilter (filterid, description, clause, newruledefault)     VALUES (0, 'New episode', 'program.previouslyshown = 0', 0);
> Error was: Driver error was [2/1062]:
> QMYSQL: Unable to execute query
> Database error was:
> Duplicate entry '0' for key 'PRIMARY'

To see what happened, I tried just re-running mythtv-setup again, and it carried on with schema updates till it hit a new hard error :
> 2020-03-09 19:32:48.550061 C  Upgrading to MythTV schema version 1277
> 2020-03-09 19:32:48.550571 E  DB Error (Performing database upgrade):
> Query was: ALTER TABLE record ADD COLUMN filter INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0;
> Error was: Driver error was [2/1060]:
> QMYSQL: Unable to execute query
> Database error was:
> Duplicate column name 'filter'

I'm guessing this latter error is probably due to a partial upgrade already having been done.

Sooooo. Since I see that the recordfilter table doesn't exist on my old system, the first error isn't due to a clash with an existing record. Is there a way to tell the update program to go one schema step at a time - so I can check after version 1276 and delete the errant record if it's there ? Though looking at the two errors, it looks suspiciously like the recordfilter table and record filter field are added together at schema version 1277 so that won't work.
Or any other suggestions ?
I really really **REALLLY** do not want to lose my current recordings (~ 6 thousand), recording rules (lots), or recorded history 8-O
Number of shows:1302
Number of episodes:16367
First recording:Thursday January 1st, 2009
Last recording:Monday March 9th, 2020
Total Running Time:11 years 2 months 6 days 17 hrs 35 mins
Total Recorded:1 year 8 months 22 hrs 9 mins
Percent of time spent recording:1%
Actually, I was using Myth a bit before that, but built a new system fairly early on.

Simon