[mythtv-users] Leanfront observations

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 20:52:07 UTC 2020

Thank you for the feedback. My comments are below.

On 3/3/20 9:07 AM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Observations after using several Leanfront client versions including
> 108 on Nvidia Shield TV with 29 backend:
>
> * Some sort of progress/busy message would be welcome when refreshing
>    lists. With 2600 recordings and however many more videos, refreshing
>    takes about 30 seconds.
Good idea. i will look into that.
> * Supporting in-app voice search is excellent; it's amazing how few
>    apps do so. I realize that you are using the existing Android
>    functionality, which makes other software not doing so all the more
>    inexplicable.
> * Android keycode MEDIA_STOP does nothing. I suggest it unconditionally exits
>    playback.
What type of remote are you using? I have not done much to support other
than the basic keys. I don't know the best way to test this. There are
"android remote" apps for a phone but they also seem to only have the
basic keys.
> * Similarly, perhaps have MEDIA_PLAY and MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE
>    unconditionally start playback, as opposed to showing the "play from
>    start/other actions" menu?
Another good suggestion - I will take a look.
> * Once you implement the equivalent of the mainline client's DEBUGOSD,
>    can Android keycode INFO be used for this?
I have no plans to implement that. I don't know if those stats are
available from exoplayer. Also above comment about remote applies.
> * The jellyfish 400mbps and both 140mbps tests
>    (<http://www.jell.yfish.us/>) all pause playback at 9-12 seconds
>    in. Skipping forward and back allows playback to continue. There is
>    no audio in the 400mbps and 140mbps h264 clips.
The android TV boxes seem to be optimized for hevc when using 4k. h264
with 4k does not work that well, especially in extreme conditions. At
any rate, I am only supporting what exoplayer supports.
> * The rounded MythTV logo the mainline Android client shows on opening
>    would be preferable for the upper right corner to the one current
>    used. Also as Leanfront's Android TV launcher icon, without the
>    diagonal skew.
The skew in the launcher icon was so that if you have both mythfrontend
and leanfront installed you can see which is which. Perhaps there is a
better way to indicate it, but I am no expert at creating graphics.
> * No ability to "Scan For Changes" for videos. (I realize that
>    Leanfront is for now meant to supplement the mainline client and is
>    leveraging existing Android functionality as much as possible, but
>    not being able to do so when "refreshing lists" does exist is
>    confusing.) Perhaps invoke with Android keycode MENU?

The mythbackend api is short on methods related to videos. There are no
api calls for scanning videos, deleting videos or setting video
bookmarks. At some point I will look inot adding those to the backend,
but until then, leanfront cannot support those things.

Peter