[mythtv-users] lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Jun 24 02:55:26 UTC 2020

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 22:25:21 -0400, you wrote:

>Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 19:20:13 -0700, you wrote:
>>

>[...]
>

>> Looks like that was my fault.  I must have used my Windows editor to
>> update the changelog in the file and forgot to tell it to save it with
>> Unix line endings.  I have fixed it now.
>
>I just updated all machines to Mythtv v31 and a new frontend with 20.04
>installed. As far as you know will your script still work as the 18.04
>version? Ubuntu is giving a message that the lirc package is not setup
>correctly.
>
>Thanks for any input.
>
>John

My script is 18.04 specific, and I have not tested it on 20.04.  I do
not know what, if any, problems lirc in 20.04 has.  I did try 20.04 in
VirtualBox when it was released, and found a showstopper bug in lirc,
but it had an easy workaround and I filed a bug report.  That bug was
supposed to have been fixed (I got notifications), but I never had the
time to check and see due to real life getting in the way.

I think the chances that all of my script is still needed are small.
The problems with lirc in 18.04 were never with lirc itself - if you
manually configured it properly, it would work.  The problems were
with the 18.04 package, which did not install all the needed library
files for the Python configuration tools, and did not install valid
configurations.  My impression was that the package install had only
been tested on a machine where the package had been developed, and
hence the problems with the package were masked by the presence of the
source code and the results of compiling that.

So, what is the message that you are now encountering?  If it is
something that was also in 18.04, I should be able to point you to the
bits of my script that would, with appropriate changes, fix it.