[mythtv-users] New IP address not used by Database

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 16:18:10 UTC 2020

Hi Bill!

Did a quick test first. Remembered Stephen had me do this:

sudo su
mysql
use mythconverg;
select * from settings where data like '%192.168.%';
exit
exit

Got the same results as before:

+-------------------+------------------------------------------+-----------+

| value |  data + hostname  |

+-------------------+------------------------------------------+-----------+

| BackendServerAddr | 192.168.0.3 | backend-3 |

| EventCmdAll | mythsgu event -h 192.168.0.4 %EVENTNAME% | backend-3 |

+-------------------+------------------------------------------+-----------+

<whimper!>

Try rebooting, hopefully install the updated values. Used /sudo shutdown
-r now/ – telling only because know a reboot is different from a power boot.

Retry above commands. Same results. :(

Try mythtv-setup. Well, it’s not taking five minutes to do anything –
that’s a definite improvement! On exit see where it’s still looking at
the old 192.168.0.3 – sort of expected that with the results from above.

Tried mythtv-setup.real – “Ubuntu version”. Does the same thing.

mythfrontend – when wrong that’s when I get the MythTV Startup Status
screen with the Database Configuration screen and try to switch the
Hostname field to the correct one. (I can update on the GUI, just
doesn’t ‘stick’ → see it has changed back on exit and see Terminal stuff.

OK: at the Database configuration screen. (And didn’t take forever!).
Hostname field is now ‘localhost’. Overlay error window is “Cannot
connect to backend”. Clear that, enter “192.168.4.3”, save and exit…..
Tries to reconnect even though I told it to exit…. Well, maybe. Terminal
now has 192.168.4.3 but errors on timing out.

Try mythfrontend again (let the data ‘take’) Seems to be showing the
right IP but back to the Startup Status screen. Does have the correct
192.168.4.3 now, but the “Cannot connect to backend” error window.

Reboot… let some variable repopulate? ...Nope: Terminal display the
right IP, goes to the MythTV Startup Status Screen. Hmmm: now goes to
the Database Configuration screen (before a screen without the Hostname
– IP field). Is “192.168.4.3” (correct one).

See what this does now:

sudo su
mysql
use mythconverg;
select * from settings where data like '%192.168.%';
exit
exit

OK, that seems to give a reason why its not working: same results:

| value |  data + hostname  |

| BackendServerAddr | 192.168.0.3 | backend-3 |

| EventCmdAll | mythsgu event -h 192.168.0.4 %EVENTNAME% | backend-3 |

‘Nuff for now! See what the next step is!

Barry