[mythtv-users] mythtv XMLTV wiki instructions

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 22:06:29 UTC 2020

________________________________
From: Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net>
Sent: Thursday, 30 July 2020 11:20 pm
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] mythtv XMLTV wiki instructions

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 7:07 PM Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com<mailto:perkins1724 at hotmail.com>> wrote:

Interesting. For me:
bem echo \$HOME

Is a different result to:
bem echo $HOME

That is because, in the latter case, $HOME is expanded in your current shell, before the command line is executed. When the $ is escaped, as in the first example, then the "$HOME" is expanded  when the echo command is actually executed, in a sudo subshell.

I would expect the second case to produce the same result as just doing "echo $HOME".

--Greg

Exactly. I'm puzzled as to how others don't get the expansion in the originating shell in the latter case but as others have said wiki works for them.