[mythtv-users] mythtv XMLTV wiki instructions

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 00:13:44 UTC 2020

________________________________
From: "A. F. Cano" <afc54 at comcast.net>
Sent: Thursday, 30 July 2020 9:25 am
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] mythtv XMLTV wiki instructions

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 04:48:05PM -0400, James Abernathy wrote:
>    On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 2:20 PM Mark Perkins <[1]perkins1724 at hotmail.com>

Interestingly, on Debian 10/stable (up to date) I get the same $HOME:

<custom-prompt> sudo --login --user=mythtv
$ echo $HOME
/var/lib/mythtv
$ ^D
<custom-prompt> sudo su mythtv
<custom-prompt> echo $HOME
/var/lib/mythtv
<custom-prompt> ^D
<custom-prompt>

The only difference is that with the --login option it executes a login
shell, which does reset the PS1 variable, which is otherwise not changed
in the second case.  I set PS1 to a <custom-prompt> in ~/.bash_aliases,
called from ~/.bashrc.

This is probably how it's supposed to work.

Augustine

Decided to check the wiki - yes it appears the command should be two lines not one.

Or more specifically - the intention (hint) is not to preface the normal instructions with the sudo --login --user mythtv. The intention is to use sudo --login --user mythtv without a command at the end to open an interactive shell and enter the commands inside that shell.