[mythtv-users] mythtv XMLTV wiki instructions

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 00:02:08 UTC 2020

________________________________
From: James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, 30 July 2020 6:18 am
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] mythtv XMLTV wiki instructions

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 2:20 PM Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com<mailto:perkins1724 at hotmail.com>> wrote:

________________________________
From: James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com<mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>>
Sent: Thursday, 30 July 2020 2:02 am
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: [mythtv-users] mythtv XMLTV wiki instructions

I noticed the addition of:
Be sure to read: #MythTV_Setup<https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#MythTV_Setup>. Hint: sudo --login --user=mythtv

in the mythtv xmltv wiki.  I normally just sudo su mythtv and then do all the commands to set up the XMLTV.  However today I thought I just see how prefacing the normal instructions with the sudo --login --user mythtv and got an error message on on the second command in the setting up with tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite:

jim at mythbuntu:~$ sudo --login --user=mythtv tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --configure --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
Failed to write to /home/jim/.mythtv/SD.xmltv.TMP at /usr/local/share/perl/5.30.0/XMLTV/Configure.pm line 187.

Not sure why and just thought I'd report it.

I'll stick to my tried and true method of just sudo su mythtv and then do all the work. And when I did it this time I just initialized and it all worked.

Jim A

What does this return?
sudo --login --user=mythtv echo $HOME

And how does it compare to:
sudo su mythtv
echo $HOME

Yeap, it different:
jim at mythbuntu:~$ sudo --login --user=mythtv echo $HOME
[sudo] password for jim:
/home/jim
jim at mythbuntu:~$ sudo su mythtv
mythtv at mythbuntu:/home/jim$ echo $HOME
/home/mythtv
mythtv at mythbuntu:/home/jim$

Jim A

Sorry my bad that was maybe a bad test I think the $ needs to be escaped. Try:
sudo --login --user=mythtv echo \$HOME

Versus:
sudo su mythtv
echo $HOME

Which is probably also the issue with the initial command ie it should be:
sudo --login --user=mythtv tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --configure --config-file \$HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv