[mythtv-users] Help, I've screwed up mythfrontend and Leanfront on my FireTV

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 23:13:47 UTC 2020

Yesterday my FireTV worked great on mythfrontend and leanfront. Today,
big issues.

Here's what has changed. We were mainly using mythtv for watching
recording late so we could skip commercials. There are no new network
shows, so we've seen everything recorded on mythtv over the past months
and deleted them. So nothing on the system. Anything we wanted to keep
got transcoded to m4v files and moved to a NAS that the mythtv Video
Storage Group lists , so we can watch the videos.

So this was a good time to rebuild the backend from scratch. No saved
database; brand new installation. That went well and because the backend
name and IP is the same, things like Kodi and Leanfront can find them
just fine. I got all the PC based frontends up and running; no issues.
Kodi and Mythtv-frontend work perfectly for live TV, recordings and Videos.

Next I got mythfrontend v31.0-79 working on the Shield TV and see no
issues once the database setting were fixed. But on Leanfront v0-172 I
can watch recording and videos, but LiveTV regardless of channel plays
one of my Video file from my NAS, same video no matter which channel.

Now I went to the FireTV 4K and mythfrontend is a mess. Most times when
you click on a Program in the Guide it will switch to the channel, but
no video, brief audio then nothing until you get the error: "Video Frame
Buffering Failed Too Many Times". You also can't play a recording.
Occasionally you will get some live TV but rarely. Both my old backend
and new one are v31.

On the FireTV 4K and Shield TV Leanfront play videos and recordings
fine, but LiveTV plays a NAS video, just like the Shield TV.  If I was
watching Live TV on a PC with mythfrontend, Leanfront will see that in
the Live TV list and I can play that, but not if I go to the Channel
folder and select a channel by channel number.

This makes no sense to me because it worked yesterday on the old v31
backend and the new backend is V31 with a cleaner database. All my
Storage Groups point to the exact directories I used before because the
RAID disks were not touched except to fix the owner and permissions
since Ubuntu changed what user mythtv's number was.

Any ideas what to do I've tired deleting all the data on the FireTV 4K
for both mythfrontend and leanfront, but that changed nothing.

Jim A