[mythtv-users] udev and systemd requirements for MythTV on Ubuntu 20.04?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 16:17:05 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 11:55 AM Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 27/07/2020 15:43, James Abernathy wrote:
> > I'm doing some planning for moving from MythTV v31 on Ubuntu 18.04 to
> > MythTV v31 on Ubuntu 20.04.  There are a lot of considerations, like
> > my current system using MariaDB and the current issue regarding that
> > on Ubuntu 20.04.
> >
> > However, my concerns today are related to udev rules and systemd
> > overrides.
> >
> > On my 18.04 system, I have one udev rule related to mythtv;
> > 99-mythbackend.rules
> >
> > SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux", TAG+="systemd"
> > SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", TAG+="systemd"
> > SUBSYSTEM=="firewire", TAG+="systemd"
> >
> > When I installed mythtv v31 on a virtual machine of Ubuntu 20.04, this
> > file was not there. I probably created it myself because of the
> > Hauppauge WinTV HD Quad PCIe tuner card I was using.
> >
> > So is this still necessary for Ubuntu 20.04 and mythtv v31?
> >
> > Also,  on my current system I have an override file in
> > /etc/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service.d/ythtv-backend-override.conf:
> > [Unit]
> > Wants=dev-dvb-adapter0-frontend0.device
> > After=dev-dvb-adapter0-frontend0.device
> > Wants=dev-dvb-adapter1-frontend0.device
> > After=dev-dvb-adapter1-frontend0.device
> > Wants=dev-dvb-adapter2-frontend0.device
> > After=dev-dvb-adapter2-frontend0.device
> > Wants=dev-dvb-adapter3-frontend0.device
> > After=dev-dvb-adapter3-frontend0.device
> >
> > After=NetworkManager-wait-online.service
> >
> > I figure this is also related to the Hauppauge card and also my
> > HDHomerun tuner.
> >
> > Again I think I did this back with mythtv29 and it's stayed through
> > the upgrades to v31.
> >
> > Do I need any of this in mythtv v31 on Ubuntu 20.04?
> >
> > On the Ubuntu 20.04 test virtual machine I have only the HDHR tuner
> > and it works fine but I have no udev rules or systemd override file.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Jim A
> >
> Jim,
>
> Yes, you did setup those entries for your PCI-e tuner, they make sure
> mythtvbackend starts only when the card has been fully setup during boot.
>

> For network tuners e.g. HDHOMERUN there is a different problem in that
> mythtv-backend can start before networking is fully established see
> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/625986#625986
>

> Mike

So it seems the udev rules for the PCIe cards are still required in Ubuntu
20.04, right?

I'm aware of the systemd stuff for networked tuners that you linked to. In
fact I had to use that back with v29 when you had to use external recorders
in mythtv-setup in the card section for TCP communication to HDHomerun
tuners, because that software took a while to start up. However, for some
reason when I upgraded to v30/31 I removed that and now am left with what I
showed above.

I know that with my HDHR4-2US and HDHR5-4US networked tuners I don't need
anything in systemd for either Ubuntu 20.04 or Raspberry Pi OS on RPi4.

At least I've been lucky. Everytime I reboot my tuners are available and
working in mythtv-backend without systemd overrides.

Jim A