[mythtv-users] Backend DB migration--replace or just restore?

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 16:12:41 UTC 2020

On 7/27/20 9:48 AM, DryHeat122 wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 2:36 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz <mailto:stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 14:59:41 -0400, you wrote:
>

>     I would second this.  You do need the "steve" user set up before doing
>     a database restore.  You need a config.xml file in all the right
>     places:
>
>     /etc/mythtv/config.xml
>     /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
>     /home/steve/.mythtv/config.xml
>
>     And you do need both the .mythtv subdirectories set up properly do be
>     able to have config.xml files in them.
>

> I followed Jim's advice and things seem to be set up this way now.  I must say, I don't get why Myth was designed this way, with config files
> sprinkled all over the place.  Seems like one ought to suffice.   But whatever.

It's possible to do it with one. Ubuntu's solution uses one *file*
with *symbolic links* to it from the login user and mythtv user.
Ubuntu also has a template in usr/share/mythtv/config.xml. It's
only used during setup, not run time (and needn't be changed.)

The entries in both users should look like:

     /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml -> /etc/mythtv/config.xml
     /home/steve/.mythtv/config.xml -> /etc/mythtv/config.xml

MythTV's design for accessing config.xml is very flexible. Which also
seems to cause confusion.

--
Bill