[mythtv-users] Backend DB migration--replace or just restore?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 17:49:17 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 12:42 PM Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/26/20 10:53 AM, DryHeat122 wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 1:11 PM Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com <mailto:
> keemllib at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 7/25/20 2:58 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:
> >      >
> >      > On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 12:41 PM DryHeat122 <dryheat122 at gmail.com
> <mailto:dryheat122 at gmail.com> <mailto:dryheat122 at gmail.com
> >     <mailto:dryheat122 at gmail.com>>> wrote:
> >      >
> >      >     On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 12:37 PM Bill Meek <
> keemllib at gmail.com <mailto:keemllib at gmail.com> <mailto:keemllib at gmail.com
> >     <mailto:keemllib at gmail.com>>> wrote:
> >      >
> >      >         On 7/25/20 2:26 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:
> >      >         [snip]
> >      >
> >      >         That's *perfect*, maybe. The entries in ~ and ~mythtv
> should be symbolic links to
> >      >         the one in /etc/mythtv. I'm asking because it's common
> for one of those links to
> >      >         be broken and be replaced by a file and I've never been
> able to find out why.
> >      >
> >      >         This please:
> >      >
> >      >             ls -ld /etc/mythtv/config.xml
> {~,~mythtv}/.mythtv/config.xml
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >     -rw-rw---- 1 mythtv mythtv 452 Jul 25 07:54
> /etc/mythtv/config.xml
> >      >     lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root    22 Jul 25 07:54
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml -> /etc/mythtv/config.xml
> >      >     -rw-rw-r-- 1 steve  steve  565 Jul 25 11:23
> /home/steve/.mythtv/config.xml
> >      >
> >      > ...You know, I'm thinking the mistake I made was not installing
> the OS as user mythtv, and maybe I should just start over and do that.
> >

> >     I wouldn't start over. Note that /home/steve/.mythtv/config.xml is a
> file, not a
> >     symbolic like like /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml is. Also note
> that the two
> >     files have different sizes. This *can* be OK as long as the DB
> credentials are
> >     the same. This is where folks get in trouble. Common report is that
> the backend
> >     runs OK, but the user can't start the frontend ('cause it connect to
> the DB.)
> >
> >     I'd rm /home/steve/.mythtv/config.xml and link it to
> /etc/mythtv/config.xml
> >
> >         ln -s /etc/mythtv/config.xml /home/steve/.mythtv/config.xml
> >
> >     *Assuming the backend is running OK*, proving that the data in
> /etc/mythtv/config.xml
> >     is correct.
> >
> >     --
> >     Bill
>
> > Bill thanks for all the advice.  I'm really grateful.  I have started
> over just to get back to square one and undo anything I have screwed up.
> > I have two questions about xmltv I will post on the other thread.  Re
> [...]

Here's my problem with trying to run mythtv-setup as user 'mythtv'.  I just
confirmed this on a fresh Ubuntu 20.04 system.  When the Ubuntu system was
installed the initial user was 'jim'.  The mythtv install created the
'mythtv' user but it is not a normal login user so to run mythtv-setup as
'mythtv' I had to give user 'mythtv' a password.  If I do that I have to
logout and back in as user 'mythtv' and run mythtv-setup otherwise I get
some xhost error.

When you exit. mythtv-setup, it  asks to start the backend and if you say
yes, it asks for a password which will not work with user 'mythtv' unless
you've added mythtv to the sudo group.

To avoid all these issues, while user jim, I just sudo su mythtv and create
the recordings directory with mkdir /home/mythtv/recordings and then it has
the right permissions.  While I'm there I set up XMLTV since I'm user
mythtv. Once that's done I exit back to user jim and run mythtv-setup.

Never had a problem. However if I have to run mythfilldatabase manually, I
sudo su mythtv and then run it.

JIm A