[mythtv-users] Backend DB migration--replace or just restore?

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 16:40:20 UTC 2020

On 7/26/20 10:53 AM, DryHeat122 wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 1:11 PM Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com <mailto:keemllib at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 7/25/20 2:58 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:
>      >
>      > On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 12:41 PM DryHeat122 <dryheat122 at gmail.com <mailto:dryheat122 at gmail.com> <mailto:dryheat122 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:dryheat122 at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >     On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 12:37 PM Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com <mailto:keemllib at gmail.com> <mailto:keemllib at gmail.com
>     <mailto:keemllib at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >         On 7/25/20 2:26 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:
>      >         [snip]
>      >
>      >         That's *perfect*, maybe. The entries in ~ and ~mythtv should be symbolic links to
>      >         the one in /etc/mythtv. I'm asking because it's common for one of those links to
>      >         be broken and be replaced by a file and I've never been able to find out why.
>      >
>      >         This please:
>      >
>      >             ls -ld /etc/mythtv/config.xml {~,~mythtv}/.mythtv/config.xml
>      >
>      >
>      >     -rw-rw---- 1 mythtv mythtv 452 Jul 25 07:54 /etc/mythtv/config.xml
>      >     lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root    22 Jul 25 07:54 /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml -> /etc/mythtv/config.xml
>      >     -rw-rw-r-- 1 steve  steve  565 Jul 25 11:23 /home/steve/.mythtv/config.xml
>      >
>      > ...You know, I'm thinking the mistake I made was not installing the OS as user mythtv, and maybe I should just start over and do that.
>

>     I wouldn't start over. Note that /home/steve/.mythtv/config.xml is a file, not a
>     symbolic like like /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml is. Also note that the two
>     files have different sizes. This *can* be OK as long as the DB credentials are
>     the same. This is where folks get in trouble. Common report is that the backend
>     runs OK, but the user can't start the frontend ('cause it connect to the DB.)
>
>     I'd rm /home/steve/.mythtv/config.xml and link it to /etc/mythtv/config.xml
>
>         ln -s /etc/mythtv/config.xml /home/steve/.mythtv/config.xml
>
>     *Assuming the backend is running OK*, proving that the data in /etc/mythtv/config.xml
>     is correct.
>
>     --
>     Bill

> Bill thanks for all the advice.  I'm really grateful.  I have started over just to get back to square one and undo anything I have screwed up.
> I have two questions about xmltv I will post on the other thread.  Re installation:  Should I run everything--i.e. mythtv-setup, xmltv
> config--as user mythtv rather than as user steve?  I'm thinking the answer is yes and this is where I started developing problems before.

mythtv-setup is always to be run as user mythtv, but in reality, it probably isn't. In the past, that meant that
things like Storage Directories can't be read and the tests for them fail (if proper 'normal' permissions were
used.)

XMLTV adds a new reason for that. But I didn't use it, rather did the configuration from the command line.
And in that case also ran it as user mythtv.

Being practical, or perhaps lazy/forgetful, I added a line in my .bashrc so I can run mythfilldatabase
without thinking too hard:

   alias mfdbrun='sudo --login --user=mythtv mythfilldatabase'

--
Bill