[mythtv-users] XMLTV setup can't run mythtv-setup as user mythtv

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 20:20:49 UTC 2020

On 7/25/20 2:18 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:
> Trying to get XMLTV set up on a new install of Myth 31.  I have xmltv compiled and installed, now trying to get it linked to the input sources.
> The wiki <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV> is pretty insistent that that I run mythtv-setup as user mythtv for this step, but when I sudo
> --login --user=mythtv and enter mythtv-setup it exits without running setup or giving any error messages.  I have already run it as myself, if
> that makes a difference.  The wiki is a little confusing because it says "If you do not want to logon to that id or you cannot, you can run the
> mythtv-setup from another id on the same backend."  But above that it admonishes "Warning: It seems users are missing the step that says run the
> setup as the user that will run mythfilldatabase (which is frequently user mythtv.)"  How can I get setup to run under user mythtv?  If I can't,
> will moving/linking the .xmltv contents to /home/mythtv do the trick (as suggested in the wiki)?

Actually, the instruction says:

If user mythtv is allowed to login and start the window manager, XMLTV can be configured through the Video Sources Setup page in mythtv-setup.
Otherwise, follow the steps below and do the configuration from the command line.

I know that because I just changed the Wiki. Thanks for pointing this out.

--
Bill