[mythtv-users] Backend DB migration--replace or just restore?

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 17:06:32 UTC 2020

On 7/25/20 11:28 AM, DryHeat122 wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 9:14 AM Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com <mailto:keemllib at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 7/25/20 10:55 AM, DryHeat122 wrote:
>      >
>      > On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 8:17 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com> <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com
>     <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >     On 7/25/20 11:09 AM, DryHeat122 wrote:
>      >>     I am replacing my Ubuntu 16.04 setup with a clean install of Myth on a clean install of Utuntu 20.04.  I have the old mythconverg backed
>      >>     up and am getting ready to restore.  The wiki backend migration page <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration> says "Depending on
>      >>     how your distribution initialises the database upon installation of the backend, you may need to use the procedure for replacing the
>      >>     database by the backup <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Replacing_an_existing_database>."
>      >>
>      >>     The referenced page says: " If you are replacing an existing database with a known-good backup by using a full restore--for example,
>      >>     because your database has been corrupted or a database schema upgrade failed or you're replacing a package-provided database with your
>      >>     "old" database after re-installing your distro--you will need to drop the existing database. "
>      >>
>      >>     I don't know how 20.04 initializes the DB.  I am not replacing the DB because of corruption or failed upgrade.  Do I run
>      >> mythconverg_restore.pl <http://mythconverg_restore.pl> <http://mythconverg_restore.pl> with defaults or include the drop and create
>     arguments?  Also to be clear, I should
>      >>     restore the DB after installing myth but before running setup, right?
>      >
>      >     The last time I created fresh and wanted to restore from a good backup I had just run on the old system, I did the following command:
>      >
>      >     /usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl <http://mythconverg_restore.pl> <http://mythconverg_restore.pl> --drop_database
>     --create_database --filename /full path to
>      >     directory/mythconverg-1214-20080626150513.sql.gz
>      >
>      >
>      >     Jim A
>      >
>      >
>      > Thanks.  I tried that and it's denying me access to the database.  The --verbose option shows it has the right username, but says
>     DBHostName,
>      > DBUserName, and DBPassword are not defined and its expecting to find them in the Mysql Options File.  Not sure what options file it means or
>      > what password to specify.
>
>     The user running the program must have a valid config.xml. It falls back to the old mysql.txt and
> [...]

In the interest of getting the backup restored, you could become mythtv:

   sudo --login --user=mythtv

backuprc can be added or the location can be specified on the command line with:

   --directory some_directory

As to the missing .mythtv in /home/steve, try: sudo updatedb && locate -b "\config.xml
to see if the file exists for some other user (incl. root).

--
Bill