[mythtv-users] Backend DB migration--replace or just restore?

DryHeat122 dryheat122 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 16:28:49 UTC 2020

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 9:14 AM Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/25/20 10:55 AM, DryHeat122 wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 8:17 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com
> <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     On 7/25/20 11:09 AM, DryHeat122 wrote:
> >>     I am replacing my Ubuntu 16.04 setup with a clean install of Myth
> on a clean install of Utuntu 20.04.  I have the old mythconverg backed
> >>     up and am getting ready to restore.  The wiki backend migration
> page <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration> says "Depending on
> >>     how your distribution initialises the database upon installation of
> the backend, you may need to use the procedure for replacing the
> >>     database by the backup <
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Replacing_an_existing_database
> >."
> >>
> >>     The referenced page says: " If you are replacing an existing
> database with a known-good backup by using a full restore--for example,
> >>     because your database has been corrupted or a database schema
> upgrade failed or you're replacing a package-provided database with your
> >>     "old" database after re-installing your distro--you will need to
> drop the existing database. "
> >>
> >>     I don't know how 20.04 initializes the DB.  I am not replacing the
> DB because of corruption or failed upgrade.  Do I run
> >>     mythconverg_restore.pl <http://mythconverg_restore.pl> with
> defaults or include the drop and create arguments?  Also to be clear, I
> should
> >>     restore the DB after installing myth but before running setup,
> right?
> >
> >     The last time I created fresh and wanted to restore from a good
> backup I had just run on the old system, I did the following command:
> >
> >     /usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl <
> http://mythconverg_restore.pl> --drop_database --create_database
> --filename /full path to
> >     directory/mythconverg-1214-20080626150513.sql.gz
> >

> >     Jim A
> >

> > Thanks.  I tried that and it's denying me access to the database.  The
> --verbose option shows it has the right username, but says DBHostName,
> > DBUserName, and DBPassword are not defined and its expecting to find
> them in the Mysql Options File.  Not sure what options file it means or
> > what password to specify.
>
> The user running the program must have a valid config.xml. It falls back
> to the old mysql.txt and
> those are the old variable names. It appears that neither was found (and
> mysql.txt hasn't been
> used for years so that's good!).
>
> Ubuntu packaging creates /etc/mythtv/config.xml and adds symbolic links to
> it from the login user
> and mythtv user's ~/.mythtv/config.xml. At least, that's what it should do.
>
> --
> Bill

There is a valid config file in /home/mythtv/.mythtv and it has the
password for the db.  The help on mythconverg_restore.pl says to create a
backuprc in ~/.mythtv, but on my machine ~ equals /home/steve, not
/home/mythtv.  Also when running that script with --verbose it ways
MYTHCONFDIR is /home/steve/.mythtv and there is no such directory.  So
there's the problem.  I guess I could just create ~/.mythtv, but I don't
know why the installer put everything in /home/mythtv instead and I'm
worried this might lead to other problems down the line.