[mythtv-users] mythtv v31 slave backend help needed

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 03:13:58 UTC 2020

On 7/19/20 4:01 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 7/19/20 12:05 PM, James Abernathy wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 11:57 AM John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com
>> <mailto:jppoet at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     Jim, out of curiosity, why do you want to setup a slave backend?
>>     Why not just configure the HDHR on your main mythtv server?
>>
>>     John
>>

>> John,
>>
>> I could do it that way, but then my poor RPi4 would have nothing to
>> do and would be upset with me 😁
>>
>> It's mostly a learning experience about multiple backends.  I've
>> never done it. SInce I'm retired, in a Covid-19 lockdown, and the
>> heat index outside is over 100 degrees, I need something to work on.
>> I have 4 RPis, and a closet of old PCs.  I'm just trying to stay
>> busy.  I even put Archlinux on one just to try it.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> While you are about it, check if leanfront can play recordings from
> the slave backend. I did do some minimal testing of that. Also
> playback videos on the slave backend. I never tested that. I am not
> even sure if you can have videos on a slave backend.
>
> Let me know if there are any problems I should fix.
>
> Peter

So on Videos, here's what I did. I added the /srv/mythtv/videos to my
Videos Storage group on the master and it doesn't exist on Master, only
on the slave.  I then copied a m4a video file to that directory on the
slave.

With Leanfront I had a directory folder with no name and it had a
collection of videos that use to say "test videos" but now had all the
videos from "test videos" plus the video from my slave.  They all played
but it seems there maybe a folder naming issue.

So it didn't take a few days to get this tested. Just shows what a
bourbon on the rocks and half a bottle of wine can do. :-)

Jim A