[mythtv-users] mythtv v31 slave backend help needed

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 01:21:09 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020, 8:58 PM jam <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> reasons and 2 that caught my mind were:

> source makes sense because I only use one video source and all my tuners
> could use it because there are one set up OTA TV stations.

> all defined on the master, but how is the slave local storage defined and
> used?� It sound like you do all your recording on the master.
> possible if the remote tuners
> >> are the same type.
> >>
> >> A source defines a method of tuning as well as a selection of channels.
> Different tuner types require different sources.
> >>

> > So on my current master backend I have Hauppauge WinTV HD Quad PCIe
> card.  My slave would have a HDHomerun Quatro, so different types of
> tuners.  They could use the same list of channels provided by Schedules
> Direct, I think. The master backend could do the scan on one of the WinTV
> tuners, but not the HDHR tuners, so it could only establish input
> connections for the WinTV tuners, unless Mythtv can tell the slave to scan
> the HDHR tuners?
>
> Jim I’m a cynic, so questions are retorical:
>
> 12 tuners !! (For those who dont know HD Homerun will not do virtual
> tuners) (and I’m assuming 1 real + 1 virtual tuner per hw)
> For disk storage
>   I use a NUC for my master:
>   /dev/nvme0n1p5:
>  Timing cached reads:   22212 MB in  1.99 seconds = 11163.35 MB/se
>  Timing buffered disk reads: 6830 MB in  3.00 seconds = 2276.14 MB/sec
>
>  If you want RaPi the Rock Pi gives about 1500 MB/sec on m2
>  Also I have used Haupauge Dual HD and Leadteck Win TV on the Rock Pi (but
> do get the acer M2 from them)
>
> So I see no need for master/slave BE for me.
> I’m using 2 off Haupauge Dual HD and as a test I recorded 8 channels
> (don’t recall but as many HD as I could find, at least 5)
> and performance (on an i3 NUC) was flawless.
> I too am an auld fart and in last 2 yaers I have never had confilt (on
> this setup).
> We get a burst of movies on sat, mon and fri with a derth midweek.
> James

I'm doing the slave backend stuff as a challenge.  I have no need for a
core i7 pc with more than 4 tuners. But I'm bored and need a project.  I
even created a tvheadend server using libreelec just to reassure myself
that mythtv is still the best option for OTA DVR.

I have tested 4 simulation HD recordings on a RPi4 while viewing a previous
recorded program using the mythtv frontend on the RPi4.

I need a new project.