[mythtv-users] mythtv v31 slave backend help needed

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 21:29:50 UTC 2020

On 7/19/20 1:15 PM, Bill Meek wrote:

> I see your point. And, in the mythtv-setup log:
>
>   mythuifilebrowser.cpp:613 (updateLocalFileList) - MythUIFileBrowser:
> current directory does not exist!
>
> The Services API isn't as picky. Verify the host name known to MythTV
> (it takes into account any LocalHostName in config.xml) with this:
>
>   curl localhost:6544/Myth/GetHostName
>
> This works, but don't use /tmp/blah!:
>
>   curl --data GroupName=Default --data DirName=/tmp/blah --data
> HostName=yourHostName localhost:6544/Myth/AddStorageGroupDir
>
> You can substitute RemoveStorageGroupDir for AddStorageGroupDir if a
> typo is made.
>
>> This is where I'm getting my Storage Group information and I can't
>> seem to make it work.  The errors I'm getting are related to the
>> recordings not being accessible.
>>
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Storage_Directories#Multiple_Backends
>
> Good choice (and, no I didn't write it.)
>
> This API displays existing Storage Group entries. You can look at it
> in a browser with
>
>   yourBackend:6544/Myth/GetStorageGroupDirs
>
> Or, from the command line (you likely need to install the
> libxml2-utils package.)
> Note the trailing dash:
>
>   curl --silent localhost:6544/Myth/GetStorageGroupDirs | xmllint
> --format -
>
> Here's my 'Default' SG as an example. Note that the HostName is 'mc0',
> which is my main backend:
>
> curl --silent
> localhost:6544/Myth/GetStorageGroupDirs?GroupName=Default | xmllint
> --format -
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <StorageGroupDirList
> xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" version="1.0"
> serializerVersion="1.1">
>   <StorageGroupDirs>
>     <StorageGroupDir>
>       <Id>55</Id>
>       <GroupName>Default</GroupName>
>       <HostName>mc0</HostName>
>       <DirName>/srv/mythtv-0/recordings/</DirName>
>       <DirRead>true</DirRead>
>       <DirWrite>true</DirWrite>
>       <KiBFree>37060992</KiBFree>
>     </StorageGroupDir>
>
>     ... omitted others that are on the main backend
>
>     <StorageGroupDir>
>       <Id>40</Id>
>       <GroupName>Default</GroupName>
>       <HostName>mc0</HostName>
> <DirName>/var/lib/mythtv/remote/recordings/</DirName> # This path
> doesn't exist on the main backend
>       <DirRead>false</DirRead>
>       <DirWrite>false</DirWrite>
>       <KiBFree>4294967295</KiBFree>
>     </StorageGroupDir>
>   </StorageGroupDirs>
> </StorageGroupDirList>

Okay, now that I have my head out of my butt, I see what you are saying.
I used the following command on my Master Backend:

curl --data GroupName=Default --data DirName=/srv/mythtv/recordings
--data HostName=mythbuntu localhost:6544/Myth/AddStorageGroupDir

Now my Master backend Storage Groups look like this:

<StorageGroupDir>
<Id>18</Id>
<GroupName>Default</GroupName>
<HostName>mythbuntu</HostName>
<DirName>/mnt/md0/recorded-tv1</DirName>
<DirRead>true</DirRead>
<DirWrite>true</DirWrite>
<KiBFree>1179876784</KiBFree>
</StorageGroupDir>
<StorageGroupDir>
<Id>19</Id>
<GroupName>Default</GroupName>
<HostName>mythbuntu</HostName>
<DirName>/mnt/md1/recorded-tv2</DirName>
<DirRead>true</DirRead>
<DirWrite>true</DirWrite>
<KiBFree>1378748488</KiBFree>
</StorageGroupDir>
<StorageGroupDir>
<Id>36</Id>
<GroupName>Default</GroupName>
<HostName>mythbuntu</HostName>
<DirName>/srv/mythtv/recordings</DirName>  # this dir doesn't exist on
my Master but does on slave.
<DirRead>false</DirRead>
<DirWrite>false</DirWrite>
<KiBFree>4294967295</KiBFree>
</StorageGroupDir>

So did I do this right? Should I have changed the HostName from
mythbuntu to raspberrypi, which is the hostname of the slave backend? It
looks like you left "mc0" as the hostname on your entry of the
non-existent directory that does exist on the slave. So, I'm guessing I
did it right?

Jim A