[mythtv-users] mythtv v31 slave backend help needed

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 21:28:30 UTC 2020

On 7/19/20 3:48 PM, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> On 7/19/20 1:15 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
>> On 7/19/20 10:43 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
>>>

>> When I was using a remote BE, I didn't mount/share/... anything from the remote backend.
>>
>> I see your point. And, in the mythtv-setup log:
>>
>>   mythuifilebrowser.cpp:613 (updateLocalFileList) - MythUIFileBrowser: current directory does not exist!
>>
>> The Services API isn't as picky. Verify the host name known to MythTV
>> (it takes into account any LocalHostName in config.xml) with this:
>>
>>   curl localhost:6544/Myth/GetHostName
>>
>> This works, but don't use /tmp/blah!:
>>
>>   curl --data GroupName=Default --data DirName=/tmp/blah --data HostName=yourHostName localhost:6544/Myth/AddStorageGroupDir
>>
>> You can substitute RemoveStorageGroupDir for AddStorageGroupDir if a typo is made.
>>
>>> This is where I'm getting my Storage Group information and I can't seem to make it work.  The errors I'm getting are related to the
>>> recordings not being accessible.
>>>
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Storage_Directories#Multiple_Backends
>>
>> Good choice (and, no I didn't write it.)
>>
>> This API displays existing Storage Group entries. You can look at it in a browser with
>>
>>   yourBackend:6544/Myth/GetStorageGroupDirs
>>
>> Or, from the command line (you likely need to install the libxml2-utils package.)
>> Note the trailing dash:
>>
>>   curl --silent localhost:6544/Myth/GetStorageGroupDirs | xmllint --format -
>>
>> Here's my 'Default' SG as an example. Note that the HostName is 'mc0', which is my main backend:
>>
>> curl --silent localhost:6544/Myth/GetStorageGroupDirs?GroupName=Default | xmllint --format -
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <StorageGroupDirList xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" version="1.0" serializerVersion="1.1">
>>   <StorageGroupDirs>
>>     <StorageGroupDir>
>>       <Id>55</Id>
>>       <GroupName>Default</GroupName>
>>       <HostName>mc0</HostName>
>>       <DirName>/srv/mythtv-0/recordings/</DirName>
>>       <DirRead>true</DirRead>
>>       <DirWrite>true</DirWrite>
>>       <KiBFree>37060992</KiBFree>
>>     </StorageGroupDir>
>>
>>     ... omitted others that are on the main backend
>>
>>     <StorageGroupDir>
>>       <Id>40</Id>
>>       <GroupName>Default</GroupName>
>>       <HostName>mc0</HostName>
>> <DirName>/var/lib/mythtv/remote/recordings/</DirName> # This path doesn't exist on the main backend
>>       <DirRead>false</DirRead>
>>       <DirWrite>false</DirWrite>
>>       <KiBFree>4294967295</KiBFree>
>>     </StorageGroupDir>
>>   </StorageGroupDirs>
>> </StorageGroupDirList>
>>
> So how to you create the <DirName>/var/lib/mythtv/remote/recordings/</DirName> # This path doesn't exist on the main backend??

You seem to have found a bug at least in the way the Wiki defines the setup.

> I can't see how to create a mount point on the master backend that doesn't exist except on the slave backend. Certainly can't do it with
> mythtv-setup unless I'm missing a magic button somewhere.

Use the API above.

> In my setup I created a path on the slave backend that also existed on the master backend.  So when recordings are being done on the slave those
> files get recording in that directory on the slave.

You shouldn't have to do that. I'd remove the directory from the main backend
after using mythtv-setup. Otherwise, the main backend will start putting recordings
in that Storage Group directory too.

> I just can't see how to setup the non-existent directory on the master that does exist on the slave.

Sounds like you found a way by creating the directory.

It should only exists on the remote backend. This is what the 3rd paragraph in
the Wiki section you cited is trying to say.

   "... Note, also, that <the author> did not say that all the directories in
   the directory list must exist on all the hosts" ...

--
Bill