[mythtv-users] mythtv v31 slave backend help needed

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 15:43:07 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 7:00 AM Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 19/07/2020 11:27, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> >
> > On 7/19/20 6:12 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> >> On 19/07/2020 10:59, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> >>>
> >> (snip)

> reasons and 2 that caught

> source makes sense because I
> are one set up OTA TV

> all defined on the master,
> you do all your recording on
> possible if the remote tuners
> >> are the same type.
> >>
> >> A source defines a method of tuning as well as a selection of channels.
> Different tuner types
> >> require different sources.
> >>

> > So on my current master backend I have Hauppauge WinTV HD Quad PCIe
> card.  My slave would have a
> > HDHomerun Quatro, so different types of tuners.  They could use the same
> list of channels provided
> > by Schedules Direct, I think. The master backend could do the scan on
> one of the WinTV tuners, but
> > not the HDHR tuners, so it could only establish input connections for
> the WinTV tuners, unless
> > Mythtv can tell the slave to scan the HDHR tuners?
> >
> > Jim A
> >

> You'll be using mythtv-setup on the slave to configure it, so you can
> provide a unique (to it)
> source and do whatever scan it requires there.
>
> You can reference the same channel list from SD, though, since SD doesn't
> care about tuner types,
> just what you watch.
>
> Mmm. Interesting point: presumably mythfilldatabase (mfdb) normally runs
> on the host that has a
> database, the master. How does it know about remote sources? Or do you run
> mfdb on every slave as
> well, updating the database over the network? I can't answer that one, can
> anyone else?
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

So I've made some progress.   I installed Raspberry Pi OS on a fresh SD
card and booted, updated, and then copied the SD image to a USB3 SATA SSD
since the RPi4 now supports USB3 boot with the latest EEPROM bootloader.

Then I installed mythtv-light v31 per the wiki and I downloaded the
pi-utils from: https://github.com/MikeB2013/pi-utils.git
I modified the pi-mythbackend-helper.sh so the only functions I ran were:
fn_get_git
fn_setup_mythtv_user
fn_setup_mythtv_backend_service
fn_setup_directories
fn_tidy_up

After rebooting, I ran mythtv-setup on the slave and it can't find the
database since there isn't one on the slave.  So I use the manual setup
option to fill in the info about the master backend, i.e. IP,
mythconverge password, etc.

It then found the master and I could add the tuner cards and it already
knew about the Video Source (SD). I could set up the Input Connections and
scan the first tuner only; the same as when you build a regular backend.

You are not supposed to configure Storage groups on the backend, but that
confuses me.

I also copied my .mythtv/config.xml file to /etc/mythtv/config.xml and that
is symbolic linked to /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml

I defined a mountpoint in the Storage Group Default and created that
directory, but mythtv-setup will not let you create a path that doesn't
exist, even though the wiki says to do that.The directory does exist on the
slave backend.  the master is supposed to ignore any directory that doesn't
exit, but since you can't create one that doesn't exist, ????

This is where I'm getting my Storage Group information and I can't seem to
make it work.  The errors I'm getting are related to the recordings not
being accessible.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Storage_Directories#Multiple_Backends