[mythtv-users] Stability of FE/BE combos?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 13:09:30 UTC 2020

Since I'm retired and forced to stay home a lot due to Covid-19, I've been
experimenting with a bunch of media software to learn and stay busy.

My production backend is Mythtv v31 on Ubuntu Server 18.04 with a UPS power
backup.  It is stable as a rock. Only gets rebooted when updated.  I do
find that my Shield TV running Mythfrontend, Leanfront, or Kodi is mostly
stable but occasionally fails and I have to restart the app, hardly ever
having to reset the Shield TV.

I've been testing combos on RPi4 and old PCs and find the frontends fail a
lot more than I find acceptable. And since I can't fix the frontend without
resetting the whole combo I can lose recordings.
This seems to be true with Mythtv v30 and v31 and it's true with LibreELEC
TVHeadend.

My biggest issues seem to be screen freezes, and the combo forgetting it's
resolution for the TV when the TV is powered off at night. With the combo
on a PC, I can ssh in and restart lightdm and that sometimes fixes the
resolution issue.  However, on Raspbian or LibreELEC I find rebooting is
the only way out.

So I'm wondering if this is similar to other's experiences?

I don't think I could ever use a combo FE/BE in production based on my
experiences.

JIm A