[mythtv-users] v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved

John Hoyt john.hoyt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 00:01:31 UTC 2020

Thanks Roland - greatly appreciate the help here!  Please see the
commentary in line below.

> 1) The default grabber script paths are determined by the
> sharedir  = installprefix + "/share/mythtv/"
> and the default script location (see item below).

This gets a bit weird on macOS as the eventual installed path gets moved
into the .app file.  That being said - I believe this is working as mythtv
is finding the python grabbers I copy into the application from
installprefix + "/share/mythtv/

> 2) Those default locations can be overwritten by specific settings
> of the frontend. If not present, they point to their defaults
> "TelevisionGrabber" -> metadata/Television/ttvdb.py
> "MovieGrabber" -> metadata/Movie/tmdb3.py
> An error in the log like
> "MythSystemLegacy() command not executable,
> eno: No such file or directory (2)"
> might occur, if the setting for that grabber is wrong or empty.
> See Frontend: Setup->Artwork and Data Sources
> A search in the mysql settings table may be useful:
>  select * from settings where value like "%Grabber";

This is an excellent piece of info I'll have to add to the wiki for
troubleshooting.

> 3) The grabber scripts itself must be executable and the
> first line (shebang) must point to the installed python version.

So it looks like the shebang is linked properly to the macports python
version - which is why Steve was having issues without having that version
of python installed.  Also validates that use instructions for building the
way I did requires a matched python version to the one that's used to build
the application.

As far as setting the scripts executable - it looks like ttvdb and tmdb are
getting set executable - the rest are not.  That's an easy fix in the build
script.  Will push that fix out to my github repository when I make a new
build.

4) The scripts can be tested by running them with the
> "-t" parameter from the command line,
> e.g.: "/usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Television/ttvdb.py -t"
> The result is either a traceback or the message
> "Everything appears in order."
> Tracebacks usually give hints about missing python packages.

Thanks - this will be very helpful checking to make sure I put in all of
the necessary bits (...with the exception of the macports python install
itself, that thing is over twice the size of mythfrontend...),

> 5) Pythonpath
> If the python package "MythTV" is not installed in its standard
> location like "/lib/python<version>/site-packages/MythTV",
> the PYTHONPATH environment variable must be set to the folder
> containing the "MythTV" python package.

Setting the PYTHONPATH during application launch on MacOS takes quite a bit
of trickery from launch daemon. I might need to suggest users add a line to
their bash/zsh profiles.  If I compile with PYTHONPATH set, does that get
automatically applied to the application's python path?