[mythtv-users] Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu

DryHeat122 dryheat122 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 04:47:24 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020, 4:31 PM jam at tigger.ws <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > I always do a clean install to a separate partition rather than doing an
> "in-place" upgrade. Before doing this, I first make full backups (I use
> tar, personally) of non-recording partitions. If you haven't done this
> before, you'll probably need to do some re-partitioning to make room for a
> clean install, which is another reason to make good backups first. The
> reason to have a new, separate partition is so you can go back and forth to
> and from your current working environment and the new environment.
> Especially with the change from SD-DD (schedules direct-direct data) to
> SD-JSON (schedules direct-json). It took me more than an afternoon to get
> that sorted out to my liking, so it was important to reboot back to the
> known working environment. I also do this back & forth to upgrade my remote
> front ends, too.
>
> Sorry to wander OT for myth.
> I have 2 10 or 20 G partitions for root.
> I alternate each time I install leaving the other to be used if everything
> fails this install. Also no matter how careful I an I always forget
> *something* sometimes noticing a week or two later.
> Many Distros use 1000 as the uid for the first user so leaving home not
> formated keeps familiar stuff.
>
> James

I currently have the system/myth on one small physical drive/partition, and
video0 mapped to a separate physical drive/partition. Both are  mechanical
HDDs.  I hope to back up mythconverg,  clone video0 to a same-size SSD, do
a clean install of 18.04/myth 31 on a small ssd, and restore the DB. Then
everything will work great. I'm dreaming, aren't I?