[mythtv-users] Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Jul 13 08:55:54 UTC 2020

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 14:56:55 -0700, you wrote:

>I have MythTV 0.28 running on Ubuntu 16.04.  I would like to upgrade to
>MythTV 31 and Ubuntu 18.04.  But what should I upgrade first, MythTV or
>Ubuntu?  I don't want to run afoul of any dependencies, etc., that would
>hose the whole setup.

I do not think you will get packages for the later MythTV versions on
16.04, and I am not sure if 0.28 packages are available for 18.04
either.  You may have to do both at once - upgrade Ubuntu to 18.04 and
MythTV to v30 or v31 at the same time.  You might like to hunt down
the threads on this list to do with upgrading to 18.04 - there are a
number of problems you may meet, but if you are using lirc, you
certainly will have problems with that and will need the fix script I
wrote.

You could update MythTV to 0.29 before the 18.04 upgrade, but I do not
see any great point in doing that when you can just go directly to v31
on 18.04.  What EPG are you using?  The old Schedules Direct builtin
EPG is going or gone, so you will need to allow yourself time to
update that as well if you need it.

I always do a Clonezilla image backup of my system partition before I
attempt any major upgrade like this.  About a third of the time, my
first attempt fails badly enough that I restore the backup, usually
because I am out of time before the next scheduled recording.  The
second time I do the upgrade it normally works as I know what the
problems are and have fixes ready for them.