[mythtv-users] My mythTV is broken after update...

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 05:05:48 UTC 2020

On 7/11/20 10:32 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jul 2020 15:18:19 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> Background: MythTV was working under mint 19.3, I upgraded to mint 20 (which also I think upgraded mythTV) mythbackend is no
>> longer running.
>>
>> I'm going to take this one piece at a time since the automod rejected my attempt to ask about the whole problem as being too long.
>>
>> In the mysql error log I get the following error:
>>
>> 2020-07-11 11:30:26 0 [ERROR] mysqld: Can't open shared library '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mariadb19/plugin/auth_socket.so'
>> (errno: 22, cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
>> 2020-07-11 11:30:26 0 [ERROR] Couldn't load plugins from 'auth_socket.so'.
>>
>> This is the first reported error (there are others, but I'm attacking this one error at a time).
>>
>> my google foo is not very good. All I found for this error was a different application giving this error where they eliminated
>> the error by removing the call to the library since the app did not need the library.
>>
>> So how do I find and install the plugin that mysql does not find?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> The auth_socket.so error is likely the cause of your problems, as it
> means that MariaDB is not working properly (or possibly even at all).
>  From the name, it is likely the library file used to connect to
> MariaDB using sockets.  It is a pretty fundamental thing to go wrong.
> It may well be that if you just to this:
>
> sudo mysql
>
> you will not be able to connect to MariaDB.  Or
>
> sudo systemctl status mariadb
>
> will show that MariaDB is not running or is having errors itself.
>
> I went looking for auth_socket.so on my system (Xubuntu 18.04) and
> could not find it in my current setup.  There were copies found on a
> couple of old 14.04 partitions I have mounted.  So that says to me
> that auth_socket.so is no longer used in 18.04.  I am not up to date
> with Mint, but I presume that Mint 20 is based on Ubuntu 20.04.  If
> so, then it should not be using auth_socket.so either.  So it looks
> like the upgrade process for MariaDB failed.
>
> The first thing to try would be to see if there are package problems
> that need fixing.  Try this command:
>
> sudo apt-get -f install
>
> The -f option stands for "fix broken packages".  It is not uncommon
> for version upgrades to have problems like this, and if you were not
> watching the whole process as it happened, you can miss that the
> upgrade was not entirely successful.
>
> If there was nothing for -f to fix, I would suggest that a possible
> fix would be to uninstall and reinstall all of MariaDB.  This is scary
> - uninstalling the MariaDB packages will also uninstall MythTV as it
> is dependent on MariaDB or MySQL.  There may also be other packages
> dependent on MariaDB that will also be uninstalled.  However, if you
> just do a plain uninstall and not a purge, all the current data and
> settings will remain behind, so when you install everything again, the
> [...]

As the root SQL user, SELECT * FROM mysql.plugin; will help. auth_socket
is the only plugin on my Ubuntu 20.04 MySQL v8 host. On my 20.04 MariaDB
host, there isn't an auth_socket entry in mysql.plugin.

On 20.04 MySQL v8: locate auth_socket returns:

   /usr/lib/mysql/plugin/auth_socket.so

For a Mint 20 user (pinnerite) on the Forum, I just recommended:

   dpkg -l mysql* mariadb* | egrep -v "^un|^rc"

as they're having SQL issues and appear to have/have had both servers
installed.

--
Bill