[mythtv-users] HDPVR intermittent failure

DryHeat122 . dryheat122 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 01:00:02 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 6:53 AM Rick <rick at laity.ca> wrote:

> On 7/2/2020 10:35 AM, DryHeat122 . wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Jul 2, 2020, 5:08 AM Jim <lists at morton.hrcoxmail.com
> > <mailto:lists at morton.hrcoxmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 7/1/2020 9:23 PM, DryHeat122 . wrote:
> >      >
> >      > On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 9:32 AM Greg <gregl at nycap.rr.com
> >     <mailto:gregl at nycap.rr.com>
> >      > <mailto:gregl at nycap.rr.com <mailto:gregl at nycap.rr.com>>> wrote:
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >     On 6/27/20 9:46 PM, DryHeat122 . wrote:
> >      >>     On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 12:59 PM DryHeat122 .
> >      >>     <dryheat122 at gmail.com <mailto:dryheat122 at gmail.com>
> >     <mailto:dryheat122 at gmail.com <mailto:dryheat122 at gmail.com>>> wrote:
> >      >>
> >      >>         On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 2:41 AM Stephen Worthington
> >      >>         <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
> >     <mailto:stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> <mailto:stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
> >     <mailto:stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>>>
> >      >>         wrote:
> >      >>
> >      >>             On Sun, 10 May 2020 20:20:30 -0700, you wrote:
> >      >>
> >      >>             >On Sun, May 10, 2020, 7:58 PM Greg
> >     <gregl at nycap.rr.com <mailto:gregl at nycap.rr.com>
> >      >>             <mailto:gregl at nycap.rr.com
> >     <mailto:gregl at nycap.rr.com>>> wrote:
> >      >>
> >      >>             >Ok thanks I will investigate that.  But it's been
> >      >>             working fine with the
> >      >>             >current power source for like a year now, and
> others on
> >      >>             this list use it
> >      >>             >too.
> >      >>
> >      >>             <snip><https://forum.mythtv.org>
> >      >>
> >      >>
> >      >>         Thanks for all the suggestions.  I will investigate all
> of
> >      >>         them.  Something I do not see in here is an opinion that
> >     some
> >      >>         software problem could have evolved.  I was kind of
> thinking
> >      >>         of that as a possibility given that it worked fine for so
> >      >>         long then seems to be degrading.  OTOH I never thought
> >     of the
> >      >>         possibility that the USB connection could be degrading.
> I'm
> >      >>         going to try Greg's connector, assuming I can get parts
> >      >>         during the Apocalypse.  Also, his link specifies Radio
> Shack
> >      >>         parts.  What's Radio Shack?!? ;-)
> >      >>
> >      >>
> >      >>     Well folks this is getting frustrating.  I addressed a
> possible
> >      >>     ventilation issue.  I also unplugged the power cord I had
> from
> >      >>     the Myth box USB and connected it to an old iPad charger
> [...]
input/output error

Here is what dmesg says:

steve at steve-EP45-UD3P:~$ dmesg | grep pvr
[   12.937541] hdpvr 2-6:1.0: firmware version 0x14 dated May 12 2010
10:29:31
[   12.937544] hdpvr 2-6:1.0: untested firmware, the driver might not work.
[   13.152225] hdpvr 2-6:1.0: device now attached to video0
[   13.152252] usbcore: registered new interface driver hdpvr

So it seems I do not have the latest device driver.  I doubt this is the
problem as it was working fine for years with the existing device driver
and I've not updated anything else.  But can't hurt to try.  How to install?