[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct ota & cable video sources, fetching channels

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Mon Jan 27 05:47:22 UTC 2020

On 1/25/2020 3:37 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 1/25/20 1:33 PM, faginbagin wrote:
>> I've got some questions about how to set up video sources in v31 with
>> tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite. The wiki says to use the video source name for
>> the xmltv config file, e.g. ~mythtv/.mythtv/VideoSource.xmltv. Does that
>> mean that if you use both cable and OTA, you will have two such files,
>> e.g.:
>> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/Cable.xmltv
>> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/OTA.xmltv
>
> Yes, one file per source name.
>
>> If so, will they both point to the same database, e.g.:
>> /home/mythtv/.xmltv/SchedulesDirect.DB?
>
> That was my choice. I never tried (for example) SchedulesDirect.Cable
> and SchedulesDirect.OTA.

I don't have immediate plans to use both cable and OTA. These questions
were more in case I wanted to add OTA someday.

>> Regarding fetching channels (i.e. populating mythconverg.channels table)
>> Is there any reason to do a channel scan? Or do you configure the
>> channels with tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite (and/or with sqlite magic), and
>> then "fetch channels from grabber" in mythtv-setup? Or do you let
>> mythfilldatabase fetch channels? In all my searching, the wiki seems to
>> be silent on this point.
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Converting_from_DataDirect_to_XMLTV has
> two options under it.

I assume you are referring to this section:

"There are two options for the conversion:

1. Delete all your channels and let mythfilldatabase add them back. This
option is not available in cases where you have to scan for channels
using DVB or ATSC cards.
2. Manually update each channel xmltvid."

I'm tinkering with a clean install and I'm not restoring the database
from my production system. So, I'm not doing a conversion. I'm starting
with an empty channel table, and I'm using an HD Homerun on us-cable,
clear QAM, no encrypted channels, no cable card. Very similar to ATSC
OTA. Does that mean I have to scan for channels? If so, when? Do I let
mythfilldatabase populate the channels table? Will it also populate the
dtv_multiplex table?

I did do a scan at one point in mythtv-setup, and it found zero
channels, but I'm not sure I had fully completed the configure step with
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite, and mythfilldatabase had not been run. Neither
of these steps were necessary in the old DD days. I want to start over,
but I'm just not sure in what order to do things in my case.

> Be sure to read the the Warning below this:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#MythTV_Setup
> to allow user mythtv and your own user to run mythfilldatabase.

Not a problem, I'm doing mythtv-setup as mythtv.