[mythtv-users] What does restarting mythbackend actually do?

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 12:00:30 UTC 2020

On 24/01/2020 00:24, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> [ 0.29.1 on Fedora 26 in Canada ]
>
> I proactively reset my Firewire connection to my HD STB and restart
> mythbackend every morning, because I've learned that CNN and sometimes CTV
> really mess things up - like yellow or red Watch Recordings entries messes.
> Sometimes even that's not enough, so I have to do the reset+restart again
> after a failure.
>
> I've gotten used to it as the price to pay for it to work at all, and I'm well
> behind the latest release - I'll be fixing that.
>
> But, sometimes   systemctl restart mythbackend   takes a couple seconds, and
> sometimes it can take a couple minutes, especially after a failure.
>
> So I'm wondering what's going on with a restart. I'm assuming it has to wait
> for various things to be signalled to stop or be killed and whatever is broken
> is probably not responding.
>
> How could I find out what the stop/start sequence is?

It seems to me that many of the posts on this list arise from lack of
awareness of whether mythbackend is running, or other services that it
needs were running before it started.

On this box, running a recent master in an RHEL7 clone, I see this:

[john at HP_Box ~]$ systemctl | grep myth
[john at HP_Box ~]$ ps -AH | grep myth
  3153 pts/1    00:03:36       mythbackend
  3938 pts/2    00:04:25       mythfrontend
[john at HP_Box ~]$

If I want to shutdown I usually close mythfrontend, wait until it stops,
and issue 'killall mythbackend'.  Doing it twice seems to do no harm.

To restart, issue 'mythbackend',  wait until the end of the startup
messages, and issue 'mythfrontend'. I have them in separate konsole tabs
but I suppose they could be run in the background.

It's not a family friendly solution, but it seems simple and as far as I
can tell it has been working for me for years.

2c?

John P