[mythtv-users] Many recordings fail and then succeed a second later

Ross Boylan rossboylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sun Jan 19 17:55:37 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 4:56 AM Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 1:56 AM Ross Boylan <rossboylan at stanfordalumni.org>
> wrote:
>
>> From that page it looks as if the tuning timeout is the relevant
>> parameter for recordings.  Assuming this is the channel_timeout column in
>> the database, I have the default value of 3 seconds.
>> But the failure occurs only a fraction of second (~ 0.005 s =
>> 15:58:00.145173 -15:58:00.140392) after the initial attempt.  So it doesn't
>> seem even the values already set are being respected.  Even if the other
>> timeout parameter of 1s is what matters, it's clearly well below that.
>> Although the 2nd try is 1s after the first.
>>
>> Ross
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 3:29 PM Doug Lytle <support at drdos.info> wrote:
>>
>>> On 1/18/20 5:06 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:
>>>

>>> Less commonly, the recordings just fail.
>>>

>>> Ross,
>>>
>>> Typically you need to increase your tuning timeout in mythtv-setup.
>>>

>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Capture_Cards#Card_type:_HDHomeRun_networked_tuner
>>>
>>> Doug

>> Any dual tuner, in Mythtv set up like yours can record four programs only
> if they come from only two muxes, so a third recording from a third mux
> will always fail.
>
> I don't understand how the remark about muxes (multiplexers?) relates to
any of the previous stuff.  I do understand that I can exceed 2
simultaneous recordings only if I record off multiple subchannels (I don't
know the technical term, but I mentioned 9.1 and 9.2 in my original post).
Are you saying that instead of 4 records in capturecard there should be 2?
I don't think any of the failures I listed involved attempting to record >
2 programs.
And I don't see how that relates to increasing the timeout, or the fact
that my failures seem to happen faster than even the shortest timeout.
Ross