[mythtv-users] Is it worth upgrading from an nVidia GT520?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 14:32:11 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 3:51 PM Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com>
wrote:

> For Fedora you can install the 340 driver even in Fedora 31 according to
> RPMFusion https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA but I have not tried that
> myself.
> So the bottom line is that for MythTV your Linux should be recent enough
> to have Qt5.7 and old enough for the Nvidia 340 driver.

Just a word of warning from a RPM Fusion packager... The legacy drivers are
supported on RPM Fusion on a "best effort" basis. Fedora runs the latest
kernels, 5.4.x currently. Since the legacy drivers from NVidia are not
being updated to be compatible we have a couple of people capable of doing
minor API patching to keep them limping along but there is always a risk
that there will be a change that is too difficult to backport.

If I had a legacy card I would keep using it as long as it worked, but if I
was buying a new card I would make sure it's currently supported.

Just my $0.02...

Thanks,
Richard