[mythtv-users] android compiling - gcc missing

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Mon Jan 13 13:51:40 UTC 2020

 ---- On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 16:09:41 +0000 David Hampton <mythtv at love2code.net> wrote ----
 > On Sun, 2020-01-12 at 14:30 +0000, Tim Draper wrote:
 > > I've encountered a number of issues with the apk's that Peter Bennett
 > > has created and i'm looking at compiling myself to ensure things
 > > havent been fixed. Nothing obviously fixed in the commits but worth a
 > > go, even if it's just to gain some experience cross compiling.
 > >
 > > specifically, issues with the APK on a Shield TV Pro as follows:
 > > mythfrontend-20190625-arm64-v30.0-60-gb9c1b41a6c0.apk  < does not
 > > provide surround AudioTrack sound, so limited to OpenSLES (stereo
 > > only)
 > > mythfrontend-20190724-arm64-v31-Pre-539-gff6bd41e0c0.apk < OpenSLES
 > > enabled but has font rendering issues in some themes (videos section
 > > in mythbuntu theme). also getting very occasional dropped frames
 > > during playback that i've not yet seen on the above v30 apk or my
 > > other FE's.
 > >

 > > since both of these are as good as 6months old now i figured i'd
 > > compile myself to test further but i keep hitting c++/gcc missing
 > > error when running the './makelibs.sh all' step from git instructions
 > > (https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/tree/master/android, step4)
 > >
 > > exact error is
 > > # ./makelibs.sh all
 > > checking if we have a C++ compiler... no
 > > configure: error: C++ compiler g++ does not work or no compiler found
 > > ~/git/mythtv-packaging/android/libs64/icu ~/git/mythtv-
 > > packaging/android/libs64 ~/git/mythtv-packaging/android
 > >
 > > What am i missing to get it to see gcc?
 > >
 > > I'm on Fedora31, gcc is installed at /usr/bin/gcc, and i've also
 > > symlinked it to ~/git/mythtv-packaging/android/gcc but still no go (i
 > > assume that path is listed because it's where the script is looking
 > > for it).
 >
 > You need a cross compiler that runs on x86_64 and outputs instructions
 > for ARM.  I don't remember building mine, but it must have been in the
 > instructions for setting up android compiles.  For me its in
 > .../android-ndk/my-android-toolchain64/bin/aarch64-linux-android-gcc

i did see something like that (away from laptop atm not cound just be similar) when i did a general search for gcc on my system, expecting it to be part of SDK/NDK toolset. I'll double check your exact path when i get home.
Anything i can/need to do if it is present and it's not actually using it?

also, fwiw i re-stumbled across the fact that the v30 apk doesn't support AudioTrack. obviously why i chose v31 in the first place. hopefully get this gcc issue sorted, build the latest master (i assume thats where pre-31 apk is from) and test that for the issues i'm getting.