[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase run manually

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 16:45:23 UTC 2020

On 1/10/20 10:47 AM, DaveD wrote:
> Might consider giving the RPi its own connection, independent of your
> phone:
>
> https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/raspberry-pi-cellular
>
> Dave D.
>
> On 1/8/20 6:27 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 14:30:03 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>>> I have a mobile combo mythtv FE/BE on a RPi4 in my RV.  So it only
>>> have an internet connection when I turn my phone into a hotspot and
>>> the wireless AP/router bridge reestablishes a connection to the
>>> hotspot. As a result when mythfilldatabase runs it usually doesn’t
>>> succeed.
>>>
>>> So  what I do now is:
>>> 1.  Turn on phone hotspot.
>>> 2.  Open terminal and ‘sudo su mythtv’ then ‘mythfilldatabase’
>>> 3.  Turn off phone hotspot.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a more automated way of doing this or is this the best I
>>> can hope for??
>>>
>>> Jim A
>> It is possible to get a script to run when a network connection comes
>> up - see /etc/network/if.up.  The system uses this, but it is possible
>> to add your own scripts also.  I presume an RPi also works this way -
>> it is a Debian and Debian based thing.  So you could have
>> mythfilldatabase run when a network connection comes up the first time
>> each day after the time it would normally be run.

The IoT cellular modem looks cool.  The article talks about SMS
messaging. I wonder if it can be just an internet connection like a
MiFi, Jetpack, or Hotspot?

I have a trip scheduled soon and will test out my phone as a hotspot at
night while charging. If the router will keep the connection alive all
night with only the XMLTV data being sent then I have a workable
solution.  The connecting of the phone to the charger is a variable time
event, but always before midnight. So I could set the mythtv-setup auto
update of program information via the mythfilldatabase command to run
after midnight and it should work without any additional scripts being
needed. Mythbackend should control the database update to just once a
day. I just have to turn on the hotspot when I plug in the charger.

Jim A