[mythtv-users] DVB-S2 IP tuner

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Tue Jan 7 18:53:26 UTC 2020

 ---- On Sat, 04 Jan 2020 18:15:08 +0000 Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote ----
 > Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
 >
 > > For IP tuners, if you have an old PC lying around, you can make our
 > > own with any tuner(s) that will run in the PC.  Or do it in your
 > > current MythTV box, which is what I do.  The easiest way is probably
 > > to install TVHeadEnd and let it run the tuners and make them available
 > > as IP tuners.  I took a different path and have my DVB-S2 tuners
 > > available as SAT>IP tuners using minisatip.
 >
 > I am curious, is there an advantage to doing it either of those ways vs running a MythTV slave backend on the PC instead ?
 > I see that there's a DVB-T2 hat for the Raspberry Pi, and it would be easy to stick one of those in the attic where I've got access to a spare antenna feed and my network. But is it better to run TVHeadEnd or Myth Backend on it ?
 >
 > Mind you, I'll need to find time to build a more up to date system first - I'm still running 0.24.1, because it isn't broken :-)
 >
 > Simon

my ideal use would've been to get an IP tuner and VM/Docker the mythbackend role. having services within a virtualised env just makes everything so much easier. backup the virtual stuff, if the host dies or when you come to upgrade the OS, then restore and your back online in a fraction of the time than having to rebuild the host with all the native services. no satisfying additional repos, dependencies, or typically spending hours recompiling various bits. in a VM env, you have snapshots to one-click roll back to if something fails.

the upgrade side is also the reason i'm trying to get on an RHEL based rolling distro; RHEL for familiarity with work systems, but also shouldn't be the hassle of various things with a fresh reinstall or in-place upgrades.